By Richard Whatmore, Brian Young
A significant other to highbrow History offers an in-depth survey of the perform of highbrow historical past as a self-discipline. 40 newly-commissioned chapters show off prime international study with large insurance of each element of highbrow historical past because it is at the moment practiced.
- Presents an in-depth survey of modern examine and perform of highbrow history
- Written in a transparent and available demeanour, designed for a world audience
- Surveys many of the methodologies that experience arisen and the most historiographical debates that crisis highbrow historians
- Pays exact realization to modern controversies, offering readers with the most up-tp-date evaluate of the field
- Demonstrates the ways that highbrow historians have contributed to the background of technology and drugs, literary experiences, paintings heritage and the background of political thought
Named Outstanding educational name of 2016 by means of Choice Magazine, a e-book of the yankee Library organization
Read Online or Download A companion to intellectual history PDF
Similar historiography books
This e-book provides a thorough reinterpretation of the nice medieval philosopher, Marsilius of Padua. George Garnett's iconoclastic re-reading of Marsilius's paintings - in response to a cautious recognition to the texts - overturns the generally authorized view of him as a mundane political theorist and proponent of republicanism, and re-establishes him in his right old context.
It used to be in simple terms on the onset of the Tokugawa interval (1602-1868) that formal political inspiration emerged in Japan. ahead of that point jap students had focused, really, on questions of legitimacy and authority in old writing. , generating a circulate of works. Brownlee’s illuminating learn describes twenty of those vital ancient works beginning with Kojiki (712) and Nihon Shoki (720) and finishing with Tokushi Yoron (1712) by means of Arai Hakuseki.
Condemned as a fascist putsch within the East and praised as a 'people's rebellion' within the West, the rebellion of 17 June 1953 shook East Germany. Drawing on interviews and archive examine, this e-book examines East German electorate' thoughts of the unrest and displays at the nature of country strength within the GDR.
En las últimas décadas los angeles historia cultural ha ocupado un lugar preferente en los angeles escena historiográfica. El presente volumen propone una radiografía de los angeles cultura y del estado cultural de nuestras respectivas historias. Editada por Philippe Poirrier y epilogada por Roger Chartier, esta obra reúne las colaboraciones de una veintena de especialistas en historia cultural.
- Medieval Gaelic Sources (Maynooth Research Guides for Irish History)
- Historical Reenactment: From Realism to the Affective Turn (Reenactment History)
- The politics of memory in postwar Europe
- Church History in an Age of Uncertainty: Historiographical Patterns in the United States, 1906 - 1990
- The New Historians of the Twelfth-Century Renaissance: Authorising History in the Vernacular Revolution
- Refiguring History: New Thoughts on an Old Discipline
Extra info for A companion to intellectual history
Attracted to Enlightenment thought though he was, especially as instanced intellectual history and historismus in post‐war england 23 in the imaginative genius of Vico, Meinecke expressed a preference for two thinkers whom he described as English pre‐Romantics, Adam Ferguson and Edmund Burke (the first actually Scottish, the latter Irish). Behind this is a conservative predisposition, more or less explicit among German historicists, to repudiate the French Revolution as a violent caesura in European thought, and to mark the rise of historically minded Romanticism, as evinced by Sir Walter Scott and (more complicatedly) by Goethe as being altogether more inspirational to the enterprise of historical understanding constituted by the new approach of historicism.
LaCapra, Dominick, and Kaplan, Steven. 1982, eds. Modern European Intellectual History: Reappraisals and New Perspectives. Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press. Leighton, Angela. 2007, On Form: Poetry, Aestheticism, and the Legacy of a Word. Oxford: Oxford University Press. O. 1936, The Great Chain of Being: a Study of the History of an Idea. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press. McMahon, Darrin M. and Moyn, Samuel. 2014, Rethinking Modern European Intellectual History. New York: Oxford University Press.
London: Chatto. Grafton, Anthony. 2006, ‘The history of ideas: precept and practice, 1950–2000,’ Journal of the History of Ideas, 76, 1–32. James, Henry. 1884, ‘The art of fiction,’ in Literary Criticism: Essays on Literature, American Writers & English Writers. New York: Library of America. Kelley, Donald. 2002, The Descent of Ideas: the History of Intellectual History. Aldershot: Ashgate. LaCapra, Dominick, and Kaplan, Steven. 1982, eds. Modern European Intellectual History: Reappraisals and New Perspectives.